Marimba playing is an important part of the music project: For why see the “About us” page.
We use marimba as a teaching tool for ALL our music learners (see under “about us”), but we also have different marimba bands: The Junior Marimbas (primary school learners) and the award winning Handevat Marimbas (high school learners) – a star product of the Music Project (since July 2013) .
Some of their achievements are:
- 2014: They achieved 3 placings at the 3rd International Marimba and Steel Pans festival in Johannesburg and all passed UNISA theory examinations with distinction;
- 2013 – 2018: Medal winners of the Overberg Eisteddfod’s Band class;
- 2013, 2016 & 2017: Co-winners of all the Overberg Eisteddfod’s prize winners;
- 2016: Participated in other eisteddfodau and were the medal winners at all of those! (Cape Town, Helderberg and Tygerberg) and also received an extra award as the overall winner of all of Helderberg Eisteddfod’s percussion ensembles (2016);
- 2017: Stellenbosch Eisteddfod: receive medal as best band;Overberg Eisteddfod: Medal winner as best band, overall winner of all the Eisteddfod prize winners.
- 2017: Partook in an international collaboration Skype concert with Utrecht (Netherlands) and Jakarta (Indonesia) on 23/9/2017 in Paarl D’Olyfboom.
Members of this band can all read music notation and play a wide range of instruments.